Georgeanne here, letting you in on a little secret: I'm trying really hard to watch my portion sizes right now.
There are lots of options for pre-portioned meals in the supermarket, but most of them are either a) too expensive/not a good enough value or b) chock full of preservatives and other yucky stuff I'd just rather not put in my body!
So I've been thinking a LOT about what I could make for breakfast that would keep me from indulging too much... and that would still taste delicious & home-cooked! (Bonus points if it reheats well).
I don't know what made me think of my humble muffin tin.. but I'm so glad I did! Each little cup is the perfect size for a mini-casserole. And thus.. these breakfast casseroles were born!
These little casseroles are infinitely customizable--if you don't like what's in my recipe, feel free to substitute your own veggies, seasonings, or take things out. They even reheat well, too, so if you make a big batch on Sunday, you've got breakfast for you and your family for at least a few days!
Muffin Tin Breakfast Casseroles
(cook time; ~30 minutes/prep time: 15 minutes)
- 5 eggs
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and shredded (after rinsing & patting dry)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 can sliced black olives (I used a 2 1/4 oz can), diced
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used pepper jack, but any cheese will do!)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp flour
- salt & pepper, to taste
1. Grease or line a 12 cup muffin pan. Silicone muffin cups can make this easier.
2. Toss your shredded potatoes with salt if desired; press into muffin cups to "make a cup." Bake in preheated oven at 350 for 8-9 minutes to remove excess moisture from potatoes.
3. Cook your bacon. Drain and let cool; then chop into bits. Set aside.
4. Saute your onion until tender.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together egg, flour, and milk. Add olives, jalapeño peppers, and shredded cheese. Stir in bacon and onion.
6. Spoon mixture into cups.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until fork inserted into center comes clean.
8. Let cool and serve!