Sweet and just tart enough to make you ask for another one, these delicious cherry streusel shortbread bars would be perfect for a summer dessert or even cold at breakfast!
Try making these bars with other seasonal berries (we think blackberry would be killer).
2 pounds bing cherries, stems and pits removed
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar (plus an additional 1/4 cup for the cherry mixture)
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 sticks unsalted butter, chilled & cubed
3 teaspoons fresh orange juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Stem and pit your cherries. This can be a really difficult process if you don’t have a cherry pitter, but it can be done. Try using a paring knife.
2. Slice pitted cherries in half and set aside in a bowl.
3. Preheat your oven to 350F. In a large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and salt.
4. Cube chilled butter. Using a pastry blender, work quickly to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until a mixture with pea-sized crumbs begins to form.
5. Take 1 cup of the crumb mixture and mix it with the cherries in the bowl you’ve set aside. Then, add your additional 1/4 cup of brown sugar, the orange juice, and cinnamon. Mix together, but don’t smash your cherries!
6. Grease two 8 x 8 baking dishes. Take 1/4 of the crumb mixture (you can eyeball this) and press it into your baking dish, patting it down gently with your fingers. Repeat for the other baking dish.
7. Place the cherries on top of your crust. Do this for each baking dish.
8. Take the remaining crumb mixture and place it on top of the cherries.
9. Bake for 50 minutes, rotating dish at the 25 minute mark. You’ll know it’s done when the crust is golden brown!
10. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.