Summer's coming, and we're getting ready. Here's our list of how we'll be spending our summer days:
1. Get outdoors!
(image: Trent Suggs)
There’s no better time than summer to get outside and explore the natural world. No matter your outdoor pursuit, there’s sure some activity to strike your fancy! How about:
- Mountain biking one of Arkansas's bike trails.
- Heading up to Fayetteville and taking a hike.
- Staying hyper-local and enjoying the activities in the Heights and Hillcrest.
- Any one of the many events on the Arkansas Outside event calendar.
(photo: Kat Robinson of Tie Dye Travels)
Summer festival season is upon us! Foodie and Arkansas travel expert Kat Robinson of Tie Dye Travels has compiled a list of must-attend summer festivals around the Natural State.
2. Hit up a Farmer’s Market.
Take advantage of summer’s bounty by utilizing fresh, seasonal ingredients from your local farmer’s market. Try one of these:
Westover Hills Farmers Market
Westhover Hills Presbyterian Church
6400 Kavanaugh Blvd
Bernice Gardens Farmers Market
The Bernice Garden
1401 South Main Street
Hillcrest Farmers Market
Pulaski Heights Baptist Church
2200 Kavanaugh Blvd
3. Go berry picking!
(image: BoBrook Farms)
What better way to see where your food comes from than to pick it yourself? Try any of the farms on Little Rock Family's list of pick-your-own berry farms.. and, if you happen to pick blackberries, why not use them in our Blackberry Buttermilk Cake?
4. Shop until we drop.
(image: Rock City Eats)
Eggshells is located in one of the best shopping areas in Little Rock—our neck of the woods has everything from women’s boutiques, stationery shops, and amazing gift shops to antiques and art galleries. There’s even a store just for your pets, too! Stop by the Heights and experience this one stop shop. Literally.
Ready to go out of town? Take a trip on Highway 65 and explore some of Arkansas’s amazing flea markets.
5. Make a splash.
(photo: Trent Suggs & Brent Matthews)
Beat the summer heat. There are lots of ways to make summer's hot temperatures just a little bit cooler. We’re thinking about:
- Taking a float trip with one of these 5 Arkansas Floating Spots.
- It’s an annual tradition to visit Little Rock’s Wild River Country water park!
- Cooling off at a splash pad. Find them at Riverfront or War Memorial Parks.
6. Eat outside.
(image courtesy of Brian Kelley)
Some call it dining al fresco, but we call it weekday evening eats! Warm summer evenings are made better with good food. Try:
- FOOD TRUCK MEETS:
- Westover Wednesdays brings together some of Arkansas’s best food trucks (think Waffle Wagon, Southern Salt Company, and Katmandu MoMo) in one place: the Westover Hills Church Parking Lot. [2nd Wednesday of each month, 5-9 PM, 6400 Kavanaugh]
- Cuisine at Calvary is the Little Rock metro’s newest food-truck meet up (and it’s right behind Eggshells!). Their first meet brought food trucks like Fork in the Road, Loblolly Creamery, Blackhound Bar-B-Q, Hot Rod Wieners, just to name a few! [3rd Wednesday of the Month [June 17th], 5-8PM]
- PATIO DINING:
- Talya Boener's Southern Porch Party screams summer!
7. Choose our own adventure!
(image: Sarah Shotts)
Blogger Sarah Shotts will teach us how to have an adventure every day!
8. Stay hydrated.
We aren’t going to be seen without a drink in our hand this summer. Bet on it. Thank goodness we’ve got a Pinterest board full of refreshing summer drinks!
9. Grill out.
July is National Grilling Month, and we all know that summer screams BBQ. We’re bound and determined to take every opportunity to use our trusty PK Grill. Find out why we love our PK Grill so much.
10. Freeze everything.
(image: Tyler Rosenthal)